This is the third in a four-part series of articles reviewing sports that occurred in 2022. This second installment breaks down the period of July 1 to Sept. 30.
• Aug. 14 — Philomath High’s sports teams officially open fall practices in soccer, volleyball, cross-country, dance/drill and cheer with an estimated 18-0 students participating.
• Sept. 1 — Philomath High’s girls soccer team opened the season with a 2-0 loss to No. 2-ranked Marist Catholic in a key early-season showdown.
• Sept. 1 — Silas Pittman scored twice and the Warriors boys soccer team opened the season with a 5-0 win over Marist Catholic.
• Sept. 2 — After leading 7-0 at halftime, Philomath High’s football team ended up with a 24-7 loss to Crook County in its season opener.
• Sept. 3 — Philomath’s boys and girls cross-country teams swept the team titles at the Ultimook Race at Tillamook.
• Sept. 6 — PHS senior Mateo Candanoza scored in the 73rd minute to lift the boys soccer team to a 1-0 victory over Cottage Grove.
• Sept. 6 — The Philomath High volleyball team opened its season with a straight-set victory over Junction City. It was the program’s first match under new head coach Autumn Hilberg.
• Sept. 7 — The Philomath High School girls soccer team posted an 8-0 road victory at Cottage Grove in a game that was stopped in the 73rd minute on the mercy rule. Senior Mia Cook and junior Bailey Bell each scored two goals.
• Sept. 9 — The Philomath High School football team headed north to face a Class 5A opponent and piled up more total yards, had a significant advantage in first downs and dominated time of possession. But the Warriors lost the game to Rex Putnam by a score of 48-19.
• Sept. 10 — The Philomath High School boys cross-country team took top honors and the girls finished second behind a top 5A school at the Saxon Invite in Salem.
• Sept. 15 — Seth Arthurs scored twice as the Philomath boys soccer team defeated Estacada, 3-0.
• Sept. 15 — Kamilla Grimmer and Bailey Bell each scored three goals in an 8-0 rout over Estacada in girls soccer.
• Sept. 16 — The Philomath High football team won its first game of the season with a 42-0 rout over visiting Cottage Grove.
• Sept. 17 — Competing in the sizable Northwest Classic at Lane Community College in Eugene, Philomath swept the team titles and the individual titles. Ben Hernandez won the boys race and Adele Beckstead was the girls winner.
• Sept. 17 — The Philomath High School volleyball team remained unbeaten in match play with a couple of wins at the Sisters Invitational but a season-ending injury to junior outside hitter Clara Stanley overshadowed the performance.
• Sept. 20 — The Philomath High School volleyball team had competitive moments in its Oregon West Conference opener at Cascade but ended up losing the match in three sets.
• Sept. 27 — Philomath’s boys soccer team remained undefeated with a 3-0 win over Newport.
• Sept. 27 — The Warriors lost a 1-0 decision at Newport in girls soccer.
• Sept. 27 — The PHS volleyball team improved to 8-1 with a straight-set victory at North Marion.
• Sept. 29 — The Philomath girls soccer team lost its second straight 1-0 game with a home setback to North Marion.
• Sept. 29 — Brody Bushnell scored with just under 8 minutes remaining to give Philomath a 2-2 tie on the road vs. North Marion.
• Sept. 29 — The Warriors lost a match in four sets to North Marion in an Oregon West volleyball showdown.
• Sept. 30 — Stayton scored 27 points in the second quarter en route to a 33-14 win over Philomath in football.