Updates related to face coverings at school among agenda items
The face covering requirement for students, teachers, staff, visitors and other individuals in school buildings will be discussed at Wednesday evening’s Philomath School Board meeting.
The board members will meet in the school district office’s conference room beginning at 7 p.m.
Superintendent of Schools Susan Halliday will provide an update on the state’s Ready Schools, Safe Learners Resiliency Framework with topics including face coverings, the definition of fully vaccinated, quarantine recommendations and testing updates.
According to materials prepared in advance of the meeting, the local school district is meeting with state and local officials to “determine implications of proposed changes to required face coverings.”
The district said that it will make an announcement of the plan moving forward as soon as possible prior to March 31, which is the date set by the Oregon Health Authority to remove the mask requirement for schools and leaving the decision up to individual districts and other jurisdictions.
The district is working on updates to its plan for in-person instruction and continuity of services. The updated plan is due to the Oregon Department of Education no later than March 30.
In other business appearing on the School Board agenda:
• The board plans to review an audit report with the district’s accounting firm.
• Kings Valley Charter School plans to provide its annual report to the board.
• The board will listen to a report on the high school’s digital citizenship project.
• The board will discuss details of the 2022-23 school year calendar.
• Memorandums of understanding related to emergency substitute teaching licenses and the use of surveillance video equipment for safety and security purposes will be discussed.
• The board will vote on the second reading of two policies — one on board meetings and the other related to firearms possession on campus.
• Reports from the school superintendent, director of finance, Philomath Academy principal, student government and labor organizations.
• The board will vote on a consent agenda that includes personnel changes, check listings, minutes and out-of-state travel requests.
The PSD office is located at 1620 Applegate St., with access to the meeting through a door at the back of the building. Meetings are also livestreamed on the school district’s YouTube channel.