Philomath junior Ty May finished with a team-high 18 points in Thursday's loss to Seaside. (Photo by Logan Hannigan-Downs/Philomath News)

The Philomath High School boys basketball team dominated most of the first half in Thursday afternoon’s 4A state quarterfinal matchup against Seaside with the Warriors up by 20 points with less than 3 minutes remaining in the second quarter.

But Seaside finished the first half with a 9-0 run to cut its deficit to 11 and maintained that momentum in the third quarter to make it a one-point game heading into the fourth. The two teams then battled to the final buzzer with Seaside coming out on top in the end, 62-61.

Playing on the floor at North Bend High, the Warriors had a 60-58 lead with 31 seconds left when Cole Beardsley sank one of two free-throw opportunities. However, Philomath was whistled for a foul to put the Seagulls on the foul line on the other end with no time coming off the clock. Seaside’s Conner Langmo made one free throw to again pull his team to within one point.

Two seconds later, Cole Matthews found himself at the free-throw line after he was fouled in the backcourt following the in-bounds pass. Matthews made one of two and the Warriors had a 61-59 lead.

Seaside had a chance to tie or take the lead and Ever Sibony attempted a jumper with 17 seconds left. The shot missed but the Seagulls maintained possession on the rebound. After calling timeout to talk things over, Cash Corder buried a 3-pointer with 11 seconds left to give Seaside a 62-61 lead.

Philomath took a timeout with 10 seconds left in the game and then after getting the ball into the frontcourt, took another timeout with 6 seconds remaining. Philomath set up one final play but Seaside’s Langlo came up with a big defensive play and the game ended.

The loss sends Philomath (18-6) into a consolation semifinal against Baker at 9 a.m. Friday at Marshfield High. Baker (19-7) lost on Thursday to No. 1-seeded Junction City, 58-47.

Philomath junior Cole Beardsley drives against Seaside. (Photo by Logan Hannigan-Downs/Philomath News)

Seaside’s Sibony, Corder and Langmo were an effective combination on offense for the Seagulls. Sibony scored 25 points and Corder finished with 18 — both of those players hitting four 3-pointers apiece. Lango added 14.

Philomath came out of the gate hot with a 25-9 lead by the end of the first quarter. The Warriors put together a 16-0 run over a stretch of close to 5 minutes. In fact, Seaside didn’t make a single field goal over the final 6-1/2 minutes of the quarter — managing only a few free throws late.

During the long scoring streak, Philomath’s Cameron Ordway, Matthews and Beardsley all hit 3-pointers. Ordway and Ty May scored on layups and the Warriors got free throws from May and Jacob Peters.

In the second quarter, the two teams traded jabs and Seaside cut its deficit to 13 with 4:51 left in the half. Philomath responded with a 7-0 run, however, with Beardsley hitting a 3-pointer and Chad Russell doing damage inside with a couple of layups. The Warriors were up 38-18 with 2:47 left in the half.

Seaside finished the second quarter with that 9-0 run, however, while Philomath’s shooters went cold. Sibony hit two 3-pointers during that late half stretch.

PHS senior Cameron Ordway goes to the hoop in Thursday’s quarterfinal against Seaside. (Photo by Logan Hannigan-Downs/Philomath News)

The Warriors came out in the second half and maintained its double-digit lead through the first 3 minutes before the Seagulls came storming back. A Langmo layup with 33 seconds left in the third cut his team’s deficit to one.

Seaside took its first lead since early in the first quarter with 2:53 left in the game on a Sibony jump shot. The Warriors regained the lead at the free-throw line, however. Matthews got to the foul line with 1:17 left and made the first of two attempts. He missed the second but Peters grabbed the rebound and was fouled. Peters sank both foul shots and Philomath had a 59-58 lead to set up the final stretch.

May finished with a team-high 18 points on six field goals and 6 of 8 on free throws. Beardsley had 13 points on four baskets — two of those 3-pointers — and 3 of 6 on free throws. Ordway and Matthews each added nine.

Philomath shot 50% from the field in the game — 53.6% in the first half and 42.9% in the second half. Seaside, meanwhile, was at 41.2% in the first half, 59.1% in the second half and 51.3% for the game. The Seagulls shot 56.3% from three-point range.