After weeks of low clear conditions on coastal and valley rivers, the outlook for steelhead fishing this weekend looks very good. The prospect of good fishing after a long dry spell will likely draw lots of anglers to the rivers.
With this in mind, please brush up on your fishing etiquette and be prepared to haul out a little extra trash to help keep the rivers clean.
Register your kid(s) for a youth turkey clinic
ODFW and its partners are hosting two wild turkey hunting clinics for kids 8- to 17-years-old on Saturday, April 2 — one in Tygh Valley and the other in Central Point. These beginners’ clinics will give kids a chance to safely handle a bow and/or shotgun, practice turkey calling, and learn much more about turkey hunting. For more information and to register.
Two rods allowed on lower Willamette
Beginning March 1, anglers with a two-rod validation are able to use two rods when fishing the lower Willamette for all game and nongame species, except sturgeon, where there’s a one-rod limit. Find more details.
More sturgeon retention days on the Columbia
Additional sturgeon retention days have been added for the Bonneville pool (March 9 and 16) and The Dalles pool (Monday, Wednesdays and Saturdays, March 2-30). Check the Columbia River regulation update page for more details.
Best bets for weekend fishing
- While most west side steelhead rivers are currently blown out due to recent rains, our biologists predict most will drop back into shape by late this week or the weekend. And there should be plenty of fish on the move.
- Recent rain should improve fishing for newly stocked trout in Cooper Creek Reservoir and for holdover trout in Galesville Reservoir.
- There are early spring Chinook nosing their way into the Rogue and Umpqua rivers.
- Several lakes and ponds in the Willamette Valley are scheduled to be stocked with trout this week.
- Anglers have been catching some hybrid bass on Ana Reservoir.
- Dog Lake is now accessible by 4×4 vehicles, and the ice is 11 inches thick. Fishing has been fair for yellow perch.
- Where the ice is thick enough, ice anglers have been catching kokanee at Wallowa Lake.
- Trout fishing is open in the Grande Ronde, Wallowa and Imnaha rivers.
2022 Columbia spring Chinook seasons set
See more details here.