Gray whales will soon be making their migration south from Alaska to Mexico. The peak time to see these interesting animals along the Oregon Coast is during the winter holidays. Many state parks make good spots for whale watching. More information about gray whales is available at orwhalewatch.org.
Best bets for weekend fishing
• The catch-and-release chum salmon fishery on the Kilchis and Miami rivers is open until Nov. 15.
• Coho fishing has picked up in Siltcoos and Tahkenitch lakes. The coho fishery here usually peaks in November and continues into December.
• Anglers are still picking up summer steelhead in the upper Rogue River.
• Lost Creek and Applegate reservoirs and Fish Lake are good bets for trout fishing in the Rogue watershed.
• There are coho throughout the Sandy and Clackamas systems. There are probably a few early winter steelhead around as well.
• The coho run is shaping up to be a good one on the North Fork Santiam.
• Trout fishing on the Crooked River can be excellent this time of year. Whitefish are spawning and trout anglers can do well nymphing with egg patterns.
• Fall can be an excellent time to fish for trout in the Blitzen River. With recent rains, water levels are close to normal.
• The trout fishing on Cottonwood Meadow Lake has been excellent. Expect good fishing throughout the fall.
• Look for steelhead fishing in the Imnaha and Grande Ronde to improve as recent rains have improved water levels. Anglers will also find coho running in the Grande Ronde.
• Anglers have been catching coho and Chinook near the mouth of the Umatilla, with most being fish caught in the early morning hours.
November means elk hunting
General Any Legal Weapon seasons start Saturday with West Cascade Elk and Rocky Mtn second season, followed by Coast Elk seasons the next two Saturdays—plus many controlled elk hunts are happening. Don’t forget West Cascade elk is now in November (Nov. 6-12 this year), rather than the middle of Western Oregon deer season, a change made to improve hunt quality. Remember to get your elk tag or redeem your SportsPac voucher no later than the day before the hunt begins.
Game bird harvest statistics at ODFW wildlife areas
As upland bird and waterfowl hunting continue, hunters can use the harvest statistics from ODFW wildlife areas to help plan their next hunting trip.