If you’re hunting deer or elk during the general archery season, the last day to buy your tag is Aug. 27. If you bought a Sports Pac, don’t forget to redeem your voucher for the actual tag you’ll need to hunt.
Our district wildlife biologists offer a look at early season conditions, and updates on winter survival and potential access issues. Check the forecast.
Wildfire closures, restrictions updates
When wildfire risks are high, it pays to check on access and fire restrictions before you go. Bookmark this page — it includes links to closure and restriction updates on both public and private land.
Weekend fishing possibilities
There have been reports of good summer steelhead and fall Chinook fishing in several locations, including:
• Nehalem Bay continues to be the hotspot on the north coast for “summer” Chinook, an early returning stock of fall Chinook.
• We’re getting good early reports of fall Chinook fishing in the lower reaches of the Siuslaw, Alsea, Siletz and Yaquina.
• On the lower Rogue, the Huntley Park seining crew continues to haul in boatloads of steelhead half-pounders.
• Both boat and bank anglers are catching summer steelhead and fall Chinook in Rogue Bay.
• On the middle Rogue, there have been good reports from summer steelhead anglers.
• Ocean Chinook fishing continues along most of the Oregon coast. Look for the non-selective coho (all salmon) season to open Sept. 10.
Check out the Beaver State podcast
The Beaver State Podcast looks at hunting, fishing and wildlife viewing in Oregon through conversations with Oregonians, ODFW staff and luminaries throughout the conservation world. You can subscribe through Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play Music or Spotify, or find a link on MyODFW.com.