Published as it appeared on Feb. 22, 1884 in the Weekly Corvallis Gazette, Page 2, Column 4.
John W. York, who departed this life at the residence of John Lewis, in this city Feb. 19, 1884, was born in Jackson county, Georgia, September 13, 1801. He moved to Boon county, Kentucky in 1802, and from there to Missouri and settled in St. Louis county in 1815. Was licensed as an exhorter in the M.E. Church August 1, 1824 by W.W. Redman, and as a local preacher December 31, 1825; was admitted as a probationer in Missouri conference in 1826; ordained deacon by Bishop Soule, September 14, 1828. Was married to Mary P. Collier, July 8, 1828, by which marriage he was the father of eight children, only two of whom survive him. Ordained elder by Bishop R.R. Roberts in St. Louis, Sept. 19, 1930, and at the same conference, Sept. 22, he located and subsequently moved to Illinois. He soon became a member of that conference, and traveled till the conference of 1842, when his wife having died the previous October, he located. During the remainder of his residence in that State he sustained a local relation to the church, was married to Nancy S. Barrett Sept. 5, 1843, who died Aug. 16, 1844. Was married to Pamelia H. Quinton, Jan. 21, 1847.
He came to Oregon in 1852 and settled near Corvallis, being employed by Rev. Thos. H. Peame, at that time P.E. in the Oregon conference, to take charge of the Marys river circuit. Was admitted as a member of the Oregon conference in 1854, and filled the office of P.E. on the Umpqua circuit for two years; also had charge of the Albany circuit and was the principal agent in erecting the M.E. Church at that place. He filled many other appointments in the conference up to the fall of 1861 when owing to failing health, he took a superannuated relation, in which he continued until the time of his death. Has resided in and near Corvallis the greater part of the time since 1861. His wife died in 1881, since which time he seemed to be only waiting for the Master’s call to go home. Peace to his ashes.