(Photo/Benton County Historical Society)

In the 19th century, women’s access to education increased, including opportunities to teach children.

After the Civil War, co-ed colleges became more common, particularly in the western states “where smaller populations made them more financially viable,” according to content on women’s education published by Gale.

Interestingly, Philomath College felt proud about offering men and women an equal opportunity at receiving a postsecondary education. Following is an advertisement for Philomath College published in August 1873.

“Philomath College. This institution of learning is under the control of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ. The course of instruction is thorough, with a competent faculty. Both sexes have equal advantages and receive equal honors. The location — Philomath, Benton county, Oregon — is pleasant and healthy.

“Tuition and board are very reasonable. There are three terms in the year, commencing respectively on September 9th, December 16th, 1873, and April 6th, 1874. Students admitted at any time.

“For particulars address J. Harritt or Prof. R.E. Williams, Philomath, Benton Co., Or.”

125 years ago
1898

For sale: The Felger Mill. Property, near Philomath. Is hereby offered for sale. It consists of a good grist mill building, two story dwelling, race dam (somewhat damaged), and 43 acres of land. It is in a fine, healthy neighborhood on the line of the Corvallis & Eastern Railroad, one mile west of Philomath. It’s a bargain. Owner does not reside here, and it must be sold. Terms: $2,250, cash down. $2,550 — $500 cash down, balance in 10 annual payments at 8 per cent. (Published Aug. 26, 1898, in the Corvallis Gazette).

100 years ago
1923

Brick building: It is interesting to note that the A.L. Hathaway business building now in the course of construction is the first brick business building in Philomath. There are several of cement, but after figuring from all possible angles, Mr. Hathaway decided that brick was the most substantial as well as economical. There is no question but that brick admits of more accurate construction than cement. … Tests as to the strength have been made which show that an eight-inch brick wall, constructed as in the new Hathaway building, will bear up a weight of 83 tons. This is sufficient for buildings several stories high and for lower walls it means centuries of duration. (Published Aug. 27, 1923, in the Corvallis Gazette-Times).

75 years ago
1948

Guernsey breeders: The Linn-Benton Guernsey Breeders association will meet Sunday, August 29, at 1 o’clock in the afternoon, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. E.J. Burnsworth, one-half mile south of Philomath at the Mary’s river bridge. Burnsworths are new breeders in this locality and have a large herd of registered Guernsey cattle. Everyone interested is invited to attend the meeting. Those attending should bring a potluck lunch. (Published Aug. 25, 1948, in the Corvallis Gazette-Times).

50 years ago
1973

Construction limits: With the exception of some land filling in the city, the Marys River flood plain is off limits for future construction, Philomath city councilmen decided Monday. Acting on a recommendation by Milo Askay, chairman of the city planning commission, the council directed City Atty. S. David Eves to prepare the necessary legal papers for adoption. The ban on flood plain construction might take the form of an order, an ordinance or an amendment to the city’s subdivision ordinance. (Published Aug. 28, 1973, in the Corvallis Gazette-Times).