Philomath Fire & Rescue
Philomath Fire & Rescue (File photo by Logan Hannigan-Downs/Philomath News)

A fire destroyed a three-bay shop and garage structure on South 16th Street near Main Street on Monday morning, Philomath Fire & Rescue Capt. Rich Saalsaa reported.

Local firefighters were dispatched to to the fire at 6:57 a.m. Upon arrival, responders found a fully-involved fire at the shop, located about 30 feet from the property’s main residence, but threatening a nearby shed. Saalsaa said Philomath Fire & Rescue quickly knocked down the fire with the situation under control by 7:13 a.m.

No injuries were reported. The shop-garage was a total loss, Saalsaa said.

There had been vehicles inside of the garage but tenants were able to pull them out during the beginning stages of the fire, Saalsaa added.

As for the cause, Saalsaa said the evidence points to an overloaded circuit in old wiring. Residents reported ongoing issues with a breaker, he said.

“Folks are reminded that if a circuit breaker continues to trip, a qualified electrician should be called rather than just resetting the breaker over and over again,” Saalsaa said. “At some point the wiring will fail — think of a toaster.”

The Corvallis Fire Department was also dispatched to the scene but was redirected to a fire alarm activation that occurred elsewhere in Philomath at Newton Creek Estates (which was determined to be a carbon monoxide detector malfunction). The Monroe Rural Fire Protection District was also dispatched but the call was canceled en route.

In all, Saalsaa said Philomath had one truck company with four personnel and an engine with one personnel, a duty officer, that responded to the scene.


PhilomathNews.com has no paywall and to keep it that way, we rely on voluntary memberships. If you’re already a member, thank you for contributing. To join our community as a member or to make a one-time contribution, please CLICK HERE.