Discarded cigarette butt likely cause of fence fire in town

A discarded cigarette butt likely ignited a fire that broke out at an Applegate Street property in the early morning hours of Thursday, Philomath Fire & Rescue Capt. Rich Saalsaa said. Before the fire could be extinguished, it had damaged about 30 feet of cedar fencing and a portion of a backyard porch.

“That fire was likely started with a discarded cigarette butt in the bark dust in a planter area near the high school parking lot adjacent to the fence and house,” Saalsaa said. “We see that from time to time and given the dry air and wind lately, I’m afraid this will be a long summer for us.”

The region has seen some relief over the weekend with rainfall.

Philomath Fire & Rescue responded to the fire at 2:11 a.m. Thursday in the 2100 block of Applegate Street. They put the fire out within 15 minutes of their arrival.

Also during the past week, firefighters responded at 4:46 p.m. Wednesday to the area of Main Street and College Street to what turned out to be a backyard burn without a permit. Saalsaa said that fire was extinguished by the homeowners.

Philomath
mist
49.6 ° F
52.3 °
46.4 °
89 %
0mph
90 %
Wed
59 °
Thu
67 °
Fri
64 °
Sat
51 °
Sun
54 °