The Philomath High girls track and field team opened the season on a high note by finishing first on Friday at the Central Coast Invitational in Florence.
The Warriors scored good points in the two relay events with a pair of first-place performances. In the 4-by-100 relay, junior Havi Eves, sophomore Ingrid Hellesto, senior Alivia Pittman and senior Melia Morton sprinted the oval in 53.96 seconds, beating North Bend by 0.66 of a second.
The 4-by-400 relay features Pittman, Eves, Hellesto and Morton as well and they won with a time of 4:31.83, easily outdistancing runner-up North Bend by just over 9 seconds.
Individually, Pittman took first place in the 100-meter hurdles easily with a time of 16.87. The event drew only three entrants. The 300 hurdles were canceled with only two originally signed up, one of those being Pittman.
The PHS girls had several others finish in the top three in their events. Senior Mia Rust had runner-up finishes in the shot put (34-3) and the discus (99-0). Freshman Ellie Morton cleared 4-4 to take second in the high jump. Senior Amey McDaniel was second in the pole vault (8-10).
Third-place showings included Hellesto in the 800 (2:32.60) and junior Kaeleigh Houchin in the 1,500 (5:41.57).
Hosted by Siuslaw, the Warriors won the competitive seven-school meet with 116.5 points with Newport second at 94.5, Sutherlin third at 91 and Bandon fourth at 85.5.
The boys won two individual events and a relay in the meet and finished fourth overall as a team. Sophomore Brody Bushnell had an impressive performance in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 4:12.58, coming in nearly 5 seconds ahead of the runner-up. Coach Joe Fulton said Bushnell had “a blistering final 500.”
In the 400, senior Sean Cummings got the victory with a time of 52.99. Cummings broke the tape by 2.66 seconds over the second-place finisher — a considerable margin in the event.
The other win came in the 4-by-400 relay. Senior Justin Enghauser, senior Levi Knutson, Cummings and Bushnell finished in 3:35.31, a time that was over 5 seconds ahead of the runner-up.
Senior George House had a second-place finish in the triple jump with a personal-best 39-5. Sophomore Micah Matthews was second in the 110 hurdles (17.42) and third in the long jump (18-10.25).
Other third-place individuals finishers included sophomore Mateo Candanoza in the 3,000 (9:34.6), Ainsworth in the 100 (11.94) and Enghauser in the 800 (2:10.02).
The 4-by-100 relay placed second in 45.49 with senior Lucas Ainsworth, Cummings, junior Caleb Jensen and sophomore Isaac Workman.
Former Philomath student Eli Bogatin, who is now at North Bend, won the 300 hurdles in 48.17.
The boys finished fourth in the team scoring with North Bend taking first place with 156 points. Siuslaw was second at 129, Newport third at 108 and Philomath fourth at 97.
Central Coast Invitational Friday, April 23, at Siuslaw HS, Florence BOYS
1, North Bend 156; 2, Siuslaw 129; 3, Newport 108; 4, Philomath 97; 5, Bandon 64; 6, Sutherlin 32; 7, Douglas 29.
Winners & PHS Results
1. Larell Covington, Newport, 11.64
3. Lucas Ainsworth, Philomath, 11.94
4. Caleb Jensen, Philomath, 11.95
10. Isaac Workman, Philomath, 12.49
1. Jason Padget, North Bend, 24.13
13. Bryan Thomas, Philomath, 28.08
14. Aidan Bruce, Philomath, 28.54
1. Sean Cummings, Philomath, 52.99
8. Bryan Thomas, Philomath, 1:01.30
1. Samuel Ulrich, Siuslaw, 2:03.38
3. Justin Enghauser, Philomath, 2:10.02
4. Grant Hellesto, Philomath, 2:10.32
1. Brody Bushnell, Philomath, 4:12.58
5. Levi Knutson, Philomath, 4:31.78
12. Lukas Dunn, Philomath, 5:16.34
1. Alexander Garcia-Silver, North Bend, 9:17.17
3. Mateo Candanoza, Philomath, 9:34.6
5. Ben Hernandez, Philomath, 9:56.50
1. Payton Cunningham, Newport, 16.91
2. Micah Matthews, Philomath, 17.42
1. Eli Bogatin, North Bend, 48.17
1. North Bend (Drew Phillips, Sam Mickelson, Ethan Ingram, Jason Padget), 45.35
2. Philomath (Lucas Ainsworth, Sean Cummings, Caleb Jensen, Isaac Workman), 45.49
1. Philomath (Justin Enghauser, Levi Knutson, Sean Cummings, Brody Bushnell), 3:35.31
1. Roman Fritz, North Bend, 40-10
13. Jared Gerding, Philomath, 28-9
21. Aidan Bruce, Philomath, 16-9
1. Josiah Jensen, North Bend, 123-3
17. Jared Gerding, Philomath, 56-3
1. Roman Fritz, North Bend, 164-0
10. Lucas Ainsworth, Philomath, 115-9
13. Casey McDaniel, Philomath, 83-5
1. Larell Covington, Newport, 5-8
1. Hunter Angove, Bandon, 13-0
6. Micah Matthews, Philomath, 11-0
1. Keith Sorenson, Sutherlin, 19-1.75
3. Micah Matthews, Philomath, 18-10.25
5. Caleb Jensen, Philomath, 18-0.25
1. Trevor Angove, Bandon, 41-8.5
3. George House, Philomath, 38-4
1, Philomath 116.5; 2, Newport 94.5; 3, Sutherlin 91; 4, Bandon 85.5; 5, North Bend 85; 6, Siuslaw 68.5; 7, Douglas 41.